The Doctoral School Council
The Doctoral School Council comprises 26 members, in accordance with the equilibriums established by Article 9 of the Order of 25 May 2016. The Director convokes and presides over Council meetings. The doctoral school also includes a Bureau, a Board of Directors and a Thesis Committee made up of disciplinary sub-committees. At each site, the doctoral school is provided with its own Site Committee.
The Doctoral School Council comprises:
- 14 representatives of the research institutions, research units or research teams
- 2 representatives of the engineering, administrative or technical staff
- 5 members from outside the doctoral school, chosen from among qualified figures active within the same scientific fields and socio-economic sectors as the doctoral school
- 5 PhD students, elected from among and by the doctoral school’s registered student body. These elected PhD students are able to take part in the doctoral school’s decision-making process, defend the interests of their fellow doctoral students and serve as a bridge between the doctoral school directorate and the student body.
The doctoral school is overseen by a Director, responsible for implementing the school’s action programme. The Site Assistant Directors assist the Director at each of the doctoral school sites. The doctoral school is endowed with a Doctoral School Council as provided for by French legislation, a Bureau and additional committees overseeing everyday local management tasks.
The Doctoral School Bureau
The Doctoral School Bureau comprises the Director and Assistant Directors. The bureau members gather together as often as necessary to prepare and implement the doctoral school’s action programme and to organize the Doctoral School Council meetings.
PhD student representatives
PhD student representatives can take part in the decision-making process at their doctoral school, defend the interests of their fellow students, and serve as a bridge between the directorate and the PhD student body.
Internal rules and procedures
The doctoral school is provided with its own internal rules and procedures specifying:
- The doctoral school’s organization and governance
- First-year registration procedures, for PhD students without direct funding, funded by a doctoral contract, or under joint supervision
- Re-registration procedures for each academic year
- The ratio of supervisors to doctoral students
- Means and methods for the PhD students’ disciplinary, trans-disciplinary and cross-disciplinary training
- Exemptions/exceptions concerning PhD students’ obligatory training hours and credits
- Thesis defence procedures
- Post-thesis monitoring
- Mediation procedures